Illnesses Going Around
As of April 16, 2018, we're seeing the following illnesses.
As many of you are aware, measles is in our county.
Be sure your kids are up to date on vaccines.
See Dr. Stuppy's Measles Outbreaks: What can you do to protect your family?
for more information.
The latest Health Department News Release alerts to a new case of measles of a Missouri resident who visited locations in Johnson County, including the Oak Park Mall.
A list of known locations of possible exposure:
*Cornerstone Presbyterian Church in the Lobby and Sanctuary; 13300 Kenneth Rd., Leawood, KS
April 8 from 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
*Barnes & Noble at Oak Park Mall; 11323 W. 95th St, Overland Park, KS; March 30 from 8:00AM to 10:30AM
*Olathe Health Family Medicine; 302 N. 1st St, Mound City, KS; March 26 and 28 from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM
*Olathe Health Family Medicine; 1017 E. Market St, La Cygne, KS; March 27 from 8:00 AM to 5:30 PM
*Casey’s General Store; 207 S. 9th St, Mound City, KS; March 28 from 12:00 PM to 2:30 PM
*Casey’s General Store; 406 E. Market St, La Cygne, KS; March 27 from 12:00 PM to 2:30 PM
*Casey’s General Store; 207 S. 9th St, Mound City, KS; March 26 from 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM
*Chick-fil-A; 12087 S Blackbob Rd, Olathe, KS; March 24 from 8:15 PM to 10:00 PM
*Olathe YMCA - ENTIRE FACILITY INCLUDING CHILDCARE AREA; 21400 W. 153rd St, Olathe, KS; March 22 and 23 from 8:00 AM to 3:00 PM
If you think your family was at one of these locations
, call the Johnson County Department of Health and Environment at 913-477-8343 or the KDHE Epidemiology hotline at 877-427-7317.
People who visited these locations are now outside of the time frame to develop
symptoms of measles:
• Chick-fil-A in Olathe
• Olathe YMCA
• Walgreens in Kansas City, MO
• Chuck E. Cheese’s in Olathe
• Auburn Pharmacy in Mound City
• Children’s Mercy Hospital Kansas - Emergency Department
• Bath & Body Works at Legends Outlets Kansas City
• Crazy 8 at Legends Outlets Kansas City
• Orange Leaf in Overland Park
• Budget Coin Laundry in Gardner
• AMC DINE-IN Studio 28 in Olathe
• El Potro Mexican Café in Paola
• Payless Discount Foods in Olathe
• ALDI in Olathe
At this time, the health department is NOT recommending giving children the MMR vaccine early. We will let you know if that changes.
Photo Contest - Chance to WIN!!!
Most kids are on Spring Break during the next week or two. Everyone travel safely if you're traveling and have a fun staycation if you're staying home! Check out our Spring and Summer Photo Contest
for your chance to win a $100 gift card!
If your child has symptoms, see our Illnesses page
for treatment tips or the specific page to which each illness or condition is hyperlinked. If you're not sure how quickly you need to have your child seen, see our Symptom Decision Chart
We have flu vaccines in stock for infants only.
Illnesses commonly seen in our office this past week:
- Measles hasn't been in our office, but is in JoCo.
- Croup - learn about this one now, since it tends to start suddenly in the middle of the night and can be very scary! Older kids and adults get laryngitis from the same viruses.
- Flu - both Flu A and Flu B. Recently we're seeing more Flu B than A.
- Strep throat
- Sore throat - not strep, often one of the first signs of a cold
- Diarrhea, vomiting and abdominal pain (THIS IS NOT FLU!)
- Fever (always...)
- Dry skin and eczema
- Ear infections
- RSV and other bronchiolitis
- Asthma flares and other wheezing - schedule your Spring asthma check if you haven't yet!
- possibly adenovirus, given the red eyes and other symptoms but we don't test for it
Dr. Stuppy's Latest and Popular Blogs:
April 14, 2018 How do you prepare kids to leave the nest?
March 24, 2018
March 20, 2018
March 18, 2018
March 17, 2018
March 13, 2018