This page will be updated as needed - the latest update date is noted above.
- Masks help prevent the wearer from spreading infections. Many COVID19 cases are from exposure of an asymptomatic person - don't be that person!
- No children under 2 yrs should wear a mask but everyone else should try.
- If people mask we can save lives!
- Wash or sanitize hands before & after touching any mask.
- The mask should cover your nose and mouth. Moving it up to your forehead or down below your nose increases the risk of spreading germs.
- Teach kids that the mask is a germ catcher: their germs should stay on the inside, other germs on the outside. Either way there are germs so hand washing is important if the mask is touched. If kids cannot wear it properly safely remove it & try again later. Let them practice at home for small amounts of time even if they're not going anywhere yet - they will one day benefit from the practice!
- Wash cloth masks at least daily. If there's a filter, remove that prior to washing.
- Physical distancing is still an effective way to help stop spread of germs. Try to stay 6 feet from others as much as possible. Imagine that others are smoking and you want to avoid their plume of smoke, so walk around it.
- Outdoor gatherings are thought to be safer than those in confined rooms.
- Time matters in addition to distance - the more time you're in a room with others, the more exposure you can have. Try to limit close contacts to 10 minutes or less.
- Plan your trips to the store so you can intentionally shop and not wander.
- Masks do NOT increase the risk of CO2 or low oxygen - if they did, surgeons would not be able to perform complex cases for hours at a time day after day.
- People with asthma and other lung conditions are high risk for any infection and should wear a mask to protect themselves and others! (See the "concerns" section below.)
- If anxiety prevents you from wearing a mask, call your physician or therapist. Help is available!
- If you're sick: stay home!
- Don't use masks with a valve. (see why)
More on why we wear masks:
For tips to help kids learn to wear masks:
Best mask use:
Concerns About Masks?
Do your glasses fog up? Check out this video full of several tips:
Sensory issues? Check out this video: